Tuesday, September 27, 2011

News from Ed and Nancy + Mini-reunion

Hello, All,
We had a nice, but brief, visit at Lake Junaluska on Labor Day. So nice to see cousin Barbara, along with James, Aunt Frances, Aunt Joan, and Judy. Paul and Remley were taking pictures.
I wrote Nancy and Ed to inquire about them and here is Nancy's response, with her permission.
Love to each of you!
Sarah/Remley



Subject:
How we are

Hi, Sarah and Remley,

Thanks for the update and pictures, Sarah. It was really fun seeing everyone. We haven't been south in a couple of years. It is difficult for Ed to travel, so we can only do it if Janey Sue comes along to help. We really miss seeing everyone. My sister, Penny, and her husband, Bob, came up last Sunday night and left Thursday morning. We had a wonderful visit. They had never seen our new home in Lexington and haven't been North since Jacob's Bar Mitzvah seven years ago.

We are getting along as well as can be expected, I guess. Ed has retain his gentle, sweet and laid-back personality but has difficulty participating in conversations, walking any distance at all, and keeping track of when and where he is. He can still read and goes to church. We have a wonderful home health aide five days a week and she keeps Ed busy getting out and about, doing exercises with weights and stretching, and going swimming. He swam 5 laps without stopping yesterday.

I am taking art classes two mornings a week, sing in the church choir, and make goodies for the fellowship hour at church once or twice a month. I also pick Ben (age 9) up from school when Janey is running late at work. Ben goes to a private school after 4 years of public school. Jacob (age 20) is a sophomore at Northeastern U. in Boston, and Max (age 14) is in his first year of high school. Max plays an electric bass in a rock band and is taking a course in beginning jazz. We really love being near them and see everyone but Jacob at least once a week. Gill is still commuting to D.C., coming home for three days a week.

We will be moving into a different apartment in this complex next week. Our new address will be 42B Worthen Road, Apt 1, Lexington, MA 02421. Phone and Email will be the same as far as I know. I was in the hospital for ten days in August and this one bedroom apartment was not a pleasant place for Deborah (our aide) or Janey and Gill to spend the night with Ed. I went into Newton-Wellesley Hospital on a Sunday morning (Ed called 911 and thus saved my life). I had yeast and viral infections in my throat and a high fever. On Monday I aspirated Jello, which caused a flash pneumonia that gave my heart a hit resulting in a myocardial infection. I was transferred to MGH at Janey's request on Wednesday where they said I had heart failure, changed most of my heart and blood pressure meds and reprogrammed my pacemaker. We're still trying to get all of those things regulated. I spent two to three weeks on antibiotics, antivirals, and antifungals, though I came home after 10 days total in the two hospitals. Finally began getting back to mostly normal by the first of September. I only really felt bad until my throat stopped hurting, but I sure don't want to go through that again any time soon.

Love to you both. Come to visit when you can.

Love, Ed and Nancy

No comments: